Having lived in the UK for the last 7 years I was so looking forward to return to my homeland where the sun shines and the people are smiley and friendly and the quality of life is much better ( at least that was my idea of Greece at that time).Needless to say that having been back for only 3 months I have reached the point where I am embarassed to be Greek.

Where do I begin? The lack of respect in everyday life, the absolute chaos in any public or even private organisation, the delay in everything, the nightmare of having to get a taxi in Athens and generally the surprisingly amazing talent that Greeks have to make their lives so complicated and difficult?

I returned back to Greece, Athens, March the 3rd 2008 because I feel in love with my fiance and we decided to get married in September 2008. The first 2 weeks felt like holiday as I had only left my job in UK a day before and had to spent sometime with my fiance and my family. Then I decided that I would start seeking for a job, only to discover that Greeks hardly use Internet these days. There were very few online websites with job vacancies and even if you were brave enough to send an email no one would bother replying back to you.

Then I decided to join a recruiting agency. I went to a couple. One of them did not bother at all, instead they were using the excuse that they are looking into it. The other one I have to admit was really exceptional. They helped me a lot. They were calling me and sending me to jobs and they were generally very professional No complaints at all! However, a few of the interviews they have sent did not do that great -even if I have a very impressive CV especially for Greece)- reason being : I am getting married! Getting married apparently for Greek companies is a crime. It is a serious reason to disqualify you from any future processes. Another employer told me that I was overqualified and that it would be very difficult for me to get a job in Athens.

I did not give however, although they were times I was deeply frustrated and disappointed. I finally got a job in a multinational company ( the salary very disatisfactory as most in Greece). The company I am working is ok. However, the lack of organising is amazing. I will not take this further for obvious reasons.

My employer advised me to open a bank account in Alpha Bank ( Greek Bank) so that I get paid to this account. I visited an Alpha branch and approached a lady working there. She was carrying her coffee ( Frape-popular Greek coffee,especially in the summer). I explained to her that I would like to open an account with them. I showed her my ID and my Employment Contract. She shouted at me that there is no way to open a bank account as she needs an Electricity Bill, Water Bill and my taxation documentation in Greece. I told her I had just returned back to Greece and that I do not have the bill copies and obviously no taxation as yet as I was living abroad and that i needed the bank account so that my new employer would pay me. She said the "Then there is nothing I can do for you,you can return when you have the requested documents".

I called my father who lives in a city north of Greece and he managed to open an account for me in that city under my name without even me being there. He had obviously a copy of my ID. My father advised me to go to the branch near me so that I fill in the form and get my bank card here in Athens. I did so 2 weeks ago. Just returned from the bank and they still have not recieved it!!!!!!! 2 whole weeks!!!:( In the meantime I got paid and I am unable to cash my money without this card!

Chaos and lack of organisation and respect drives me crazy and makes me depressed!